Sunday, October 2, 2011

BloodLust (8)

Chapter Eight




The plane ride back to Forks was the longest ride I have ever been on. Jacob tried to comfort me and I let him, but my head was going in so many directions. What happened? Why now?

Our plane finally hit Seattle and as soon as I was off that plane I rushed as humanly as I could to where the car was parked. I didn't let Jake drive this time. He understood and put our things in the back of the car. I was in such a rush I started to move the car before Jake was in.

"Sorry."

"No problem."

When he was fully in I sped home to Forks. The drive was over in a matter of minutes. I soon found myself in front of the main house I didn't even bother to park it in the garage. I got out and rushed to the house, but
Alice came out and prevented me from entering.

"Alice where is he?"

"Nessie, you have to calm down before I let you see him."

"No! I want to see my father now!"

"Renesmee," It was my grandfather's soothing voice I heard this time.

I looked at him through my tear filled eyes.

"You have to calm down, sweetie. He's in pretty bad shape."

"What happened?" I asked, my voice wavering.

He took a deep breath and looked at Alice and Jacob and then me. Alice nodded in her approval to what he was about to say.

"Soon after you and Jacob had left your parents decided to go hunting before they themselves decided to take off for a little get away of their own. So they were in the woods hunting and they came across these men that happened to be hunting and camping in the vicinity. Now these weren't ordinary men, Nessie, they are the most feared of the human race for our kind, they are human slayers."

"Human slayers? But I thought we weren't known and only a select few knew how to kill us."

"There are Nessie," Alice chimed in, "these men are included in the select few. We never bother with them because the majority of these people are frauds and have no idea of what they are talking about, so we neglected to tell you about them. But it seems like that there are some that know what they are doing. I should have seen it before they went after them..."

She started to tear. I went to her and held her.

"So what happened?"

"Well," he continued, "Your parents stopped just short of their campground. Your father was trying to hear their thoughts to see what was going on with them. He couldn't really hear anything. So he neared them even more and he poorly misjudged these men. They were somehow faster than Edward and caught him from where he was standing. Your mother couldn't tell me what happened after that because your father told her to run, and Alice was in such a state of shock she couldn't tell us either."

I looked at my poor aunt who looked so devastated by what happened. It wasn't her fault though. No one saw it coming. Not even her.

"So what did they do to him?"

"They tried to kill him, Ness."

"How?"

"Looking at the marks on your father, with some kind of blade that I am not familiar with."

"Does Uncle Jasper know?"

"No. He's as clueless as me on what it was."

"So my father was hacked by a blade that apparently can go through his skin, by the hand of vampire slayers that wanted him dead for some hopefully evident reason that we have no idea about?"

"By the looks of it, yes."

I then became more outraged than upset. Why would people come after us? What did they want? I let go of my aunt and walked past my grandfather into the house. I smelled something foul, but familiar at the same time. I walked into the living room where my uncles and my Aunt Rose seemed to be sitting with their heads hung low.

"Where are they?"

My aunt raised her head, "Upstairs in his room."

I turned and made my way up the stairs that held so many memories to my father's old room. The smell continued to get worse as I approached the door. I knocked softly and then entered the room. The normally bright room was darkened by curtains that now hung on windows. Through the semi-darkness I saw my mother. She was lying next to something almost entirely in wrapped in white. Though she could not sleep, she looked like she hadn't slept in forever. I walked over to where she was. She raised herself up and climbed out of the bed to meet me.

"Oh, Renesmee."

"It's okay Mom. I'm here now. Nothing bad is going to happen."

"I felt so helpless. I wish I could have done something instead of running."

I held my poor mother in my arms. It wasn't her fault. It wasn't either my poor father's fault. I looked over my mother's shoulder and saw the white clad that was next to her move. There was a flash of reddish brown hair and my stomach lurched. The white clad was my father. I let go of my mother and went over to the bed. I crawled onto the bed next to my father who reeked of something that I could not place and his already inviting scent. He turned his head to me and I could see his darkened eyes filled with pain. Whatever they cut him with it made its desired effect on my father except the fact that he lived.

"Renesmee," he said with a weakened voice.

"I'm here Daddy."

I took his hand that was lying next to me and placed it on my face. Without meaning to I showed him what he looked like to me.

"I know sweetheart."

"How did this happen? Why did this happen?"

He tried to raise himself up to face me better, but my mother came over quickly and tried to lay him back down.

"No it's alright Bella. I'm fine."

I couldn't even begin to imagine how my mother felt seeing the love of her life appearing almost fully dead right before her eyes. I wouldn't know what to do if something like this ever happened to Jake, but then I sort of did.

"Are you sure Edward?"

"Yes love, I'm sure."

She then settled in the chair next to the bed that was nearest to him. With my father sitting up I could now see how many bandages were on him. His entire torso was wrapped along with his left arm.

"What did they do to you?"

"It's kind of hazy, but your grandfather told you the majority of it. They tried to kill me. If I didn't tell your mother to run they would have come after her too. They shouldn't have called you to come home though. Those men are still out there and they might come back."

"No they did the right thing. If Alice didn't call I would be thinking all is fine, but now that we're back Jacob and his pack can help us find those men and get them."

"What do you mean us?" My fathers' already darkened eyes darkened even more. "You are not going to hunt down those men, Renesmee Cullen. I don't care how determined you are. I do not want to see anything bad happen to you."

"Well what do you want me to do stay home by myself and do nothing? I don't think so. I'm going to find those men and kill them myself if it's the last thing I do. If it's blood that they want I give them blood…their own."

"Nessie," my mother's voice of reason kicked in, "I think you should listen to your father. We're only trying to protect you. You're still so young and…"

"'And…' What? That I don't know what I'm getting myself into? I think I can fully handle myself thank you."

I got off the bed and stormed out of the room. I wasn't going to stand on the side lines for this one. Someone was trying to kill my family and I was going to find out who and give them what they deserved.

When I reached downstairs Jacob was there waiting for me at the foot of the stairs. He stopped me on my way out and held me by the shoulders.

"Sweetie what's wrong?"

"Oh I'm sure my family has already told you what's wrong."

I shot a nasty glance towards the living room.

"No they didn't."

I turned my head back to face him. I looked into his eyes then I took his hand and started to lead him out of the house.

"Where are we going?"

"We're going to my place so I can think this through without my family's hearing and thinking bothering me."
Please stay out of my head Dad, I thought hopefully loud enough so that he could hear me in his weakened state.

"And you need me to think this whole thing out?"

"Are you serious?"

"What?"

"You're wife who you've been married to for less than twenty-four hours needs you to come help her think something out and you question that? You know what just go back into the main house and leave me be. I'm already steamed as it is and apparently I need to cool off by my self."

"Renesmee…"

"No just go Jacob. I'll be at my house if anyone needs me."

I sped off before he could say anything else. Who in their right mind would question that or be too oblivious?
When I got to the little cottage on the edge of the clearing I noticed that there was a light on in the sitting room. I didn't think twice about it until I entered the house.

"Hello, Renesmee."

No comments:

Post a Comment